Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Problem Solving 101

Connor was quite the little problem solver tonight. I saw one of our neighbors outside and asked if I knew much about our other neighbor, Alek, being hit by a car on his bike last Friday, breaking his leg...tibia. (He is now in a full cast for 8-12 weeks, and his 16th birthday is on Sunday...)

While I was talking to him, Connor was running all over the place. He asked if he could go home (across the street at a diagonal) and get his bike. I told him "no" because the garage door was down. A couple of minutes later he asked to go home, so I said "sure" and I would be there in just a few minutes. As I was walking home I noticed the front door open. A few seconds later, I saw Connor....carrying his bike out the front door.... He wasn't about to let a silly garage door stop him from getting his bike. He carried it up 3 steps from the garage into the house, through the kitchen and entry-way, out the front door, and down 2 more steps to the driveway.

What a smart little guy. I obviously couldn't get too upset that he was on his bike even thought I told him "no" since he figured it out all by himself.

On a similar note, (although I NEVER would) I feel like he would survive if we left him at the house alone for a few days....except maybe for the emotional trauma that we would cause. He is a pro at getting pretty much whatever he wants out of the pantry. This includes opening the straws of juice boxes and inserting them into the box correctly. Our microwave is also installed in our kitchen island...at his exact level. So, he really enjoys cooking things "by self". If I didn't have to vent the box for him, he would cook his own microwave pasta dishes all "by self". He also takes out the steamed veggies from the microwave and puts them on the counter and when he wants me to make him something on the stove, he just gets out a pan and puts it on the stove. (Thank goodness he can't turn on the gas oven/range yet!) Anyway, it is so nice and yet also scary that he is so independent.

I can't believe he is almost 3!

1 comment:

Jan said...

You and Brian are doing a wonderful job raising a self-sufficient son. :) Plus, he is so cute!